Created in 1968 by legendary Naples hotelier Philip Francoeur, the hotel originally opened as the 98-room LaPlaya Beach & Racquet Inn. Thanks to its ideal location and smart ownership, the property was considered an upscale beachfront hotel from the beginning. With the addition of the tower in 1983, the hotel went up to 189 guest rooms. Then, in 1994, Noble House Hotels & Resorts purchased the property, completely renovating every aspect of the resort.
The property was renovated again, completely, in 2001. While the classic Gulf Coast style was maintained, the entire property was brought into the 21st century, including extensive external updates. At the same time, they wanted to transform the property and create a more friendly, functional outdoor space, which debuted in early 2002 – the LaPlaya Beach & Golf Club was born. In 2015, Pebblebrook Hotel Trust purchased the LaPlaya Beach Resort & Club and has continued to enhance the beauty of Naples leading Resort and Club, and recently in 2018, with a new light and airy coastal casual contemporary design.
In 2018, LaPlaya Club celebrated sixteen years of success. History continues to be made each day, as we welcome our members, family and friends to enjoy the warm hospitality that is the LaPlaya life.
It’s 1958. There are no gated communities, no condos, nor yet golf carts going to and fro. The first golf course community, Palm River, is being created. Palm River, the golf course, isn’t the finest course. It’s flat and far from lush.
Fast forward to 2001. The Palm River course, generally considered simply fair, is to be completely transformed. The partnership of Barron Collier Companies and Stephen J. Lockwood & Co brought in Bob Cupp, one of the finest golf course architects in the country, to design a completely new championship course. The course was unveiled in the fall of 2002.
Over the past 16 years, the LaPlaya Golf Club has earned a prestigious reputation in the community and beyond.